The SmartWool Baselayer offers natural stretch and breathability for stop-and-go activities in fluctuating temperatures.
Typically meant for use in running, hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, cycling, and in other types of outdoor aerobic exercise, these SmartWool merino wool baselayers command a premium over synthetic fabrics.
Made out of Merino Wool, which is common in high-end, performance athletic wear. Several properties contribute to merino’s popularity for exercise clothing, compared to wool in general and to other types of fabric:
- Merino is excellent at regulating body temperature, especially when worn against the skin. The wool provides some warmth, without overheating the wearer. It draws moisture away from the skin.
- Like cotton, wool absorbs water (up to 1/3 its weight), but, unlike cotton, wool retains warmth when wet, thus helping wearers avoid hypothermia after strenuous workouts (climbs) or weather events.
- Like most wools, merino contains lanolin, which has antibacterial properties.
- Merino is one of the softest types of wool available, due to finer fibers and smaller scales.
- Merino has an excellent warmth-to-weight ratio compared to other wools, in part because the smaller fibers have microscopic cortices of dead air, trapping body heat similar to the way a sleeping bag warms its occupant.
When you head out for an epic powder day, three-pitch ice climb, or a backcountry snowshoe tour, the Smartwool Microweight Crew or the Smartwool Microweight Zip Top is the perfect way to start your layering. If you need a warmer yet still breathable baselayer for stop and go activities you might want to look at the Smartwool Midweight Crew or the Smartwool Midweight Zip Top
Made from soft, stretchy, odor-resistant merino wool, this baselayer wicks moisture and dries just as quickly as any synthetic baselayers in a comfy, all-natural package. Flatlock seams eliminate chafing on aerobic outings.
- Jersey-knit merino wool maintains your comfort whether the climate is warm, cold or in between
- Shoulder panels eliminate top shoulder seams and reduce chafing; set-in sleeves increase overall comfort
- Flatlock side seams are soft, non-bulky and designed to eliminate chafing
- SmartWool products are guaranteed not to itch and can be repeatedly washed and dried without shrinking
- Machine washable